Depression is known as a mental illness that can bring about psychological distress to the person who is suffering from it. Generally, it is described as a lowering of mood for about two weeks or even longer than that. This condition can also cause the victims to lose both normal mental and physical functioning and it can be triggered anytime. There are causes like distressing life events that can lead a person to depression. This impairment can fall into several categories depending on the symptoms present. It can affect anyone, young or old and it does not choose race, socio-economic status and gender.
It seems that more and more people are suffering from depression. Outside factors are not the only ones considered the primary causes of this impairment. In fact, most reputable medical researchers claim that depression does not have one single cause, but rather, depression comes from a very wide variety of causes.
Here are a few of the issues that play a role with regards to causing depression to an individual:
• Age – a lot of studies say that elderly people are at more risk compared to younger ones. This is may be because a number of old people do not have enough emotional and social support, as well as most of them lives alone.
• Current Health Condition – there is truly a cause and effect between depression and having a serious illness. Having an illness such as heart problems, cancer and a lot more can extremely increase an individual’s likelihood of going through depression as well.
• Genetic History – research provides a definite genetic link when talking about depression. If you have a family member that went through or suffered from depression, you have a high chance of going through the condition as well.
• Life Events or Activities – certain events that happened in your life that can be considered as a factor that can trigger depression in yourself like the death of a loved one or going through divorce. Even in your life’s major positive events, it can also cause depression such as getting married or having a baby.
• Drugs and Medications – depression can be considered a side effect of a number of prescription drugs and medications or too much intake of alcohol. If you think that taking your prescription medication may be having an influence on your mood, you need to see and consult your doctor as soon as possible.
The most important of all is that when you are feeling depressed, it is really important that you do not take it for granted. Going through emotional depression is a normal thing and everyone has their experiences of feeling down but if your symptoms last for more than a week, it is to seek advice from your doctor.
There are a number of different types of depression and one of those types would be Manic Depression or also called as Bipolar Depression. This is a serious condition that causes extreme shifts with regards to the person’s mood, behavior and thinking that is often symbolizes feelings of elation or euphoria when high then shifting to feelings of hopelessness or deep despair when low.
During a mania episode, a person may impassively charge up big amounts of credit, relocate or even quit their job. After two hours of sleep, they might feel rested. However, for the bipolar depression, the same person may experience the difficulty of going out of bed and become overcome with self-loathing as well as guilt for the reason that they are unemployed or have debts.
Here are other common signs and symptom of mania:
• Feeling of elation and being optimistic or exceedingly irritable
• Belief that they may have powers, specifically supernatural ones or grandiose beliefs about ones abilities
• Having not enough sleep but still feeling energetic
• Speaking really fast those others may not be able to understand and keep up
• Thoughts that are scattered like quickly changing from one idea to another
• Unable to concentrate properly
• Decision makings that are very much irrational
• Hallucinations, as well as Delusions
For a bipolar depressive episode, here are common signs and symptoms:
• Feeling of hopelessness or empty
• Always tired, suffering from fatigue, mental and even physical sluggishness
• Inability to appreciate and experience pleasure
• Change in one’s weight
• Not having enough sleep because of many disturbances
• Guilt and worthlessness feeling
• Having thoughts of ending their lives like doing suicide
Treatment does not only aim in alleviating the symptoms but it also focuses on getting the individual fully recover from the impairment. Diagnosis can be hard and Manic Depression is considered as a chronic relapsing illness so it is recommended for one to seek and work with a Psychiatrist that is well-experienced and continue with the treatment even if the patient is feeling better.
Medication therapy is basically a mix of a few effective modern drugs and they are also called as mood stabilizers. Another treatment option that can be used includes psychotherapy wherein it helps in controlling depressive states. Since these patients often think of death and have suicidal thoughts, being able to take control of this aspect through the help of psychotherapy goes a very long way when giving out positive results.
On a much lighter note, the simple act of joining a support or even just having someone to talk to is all that is needed when overcoming this condition, especially for those who are suffering from manic depression. Organizations like this can gather patients together and they will be able to learn to trust each other. In addition, they will also learn how to live a healthy lifestyle that includes a daily dose of good exercise, as well as good eating habits.
Take note that taking medication alone is not enough to fight the symptoms. If you want to achieve good long term prognosis, having a combination of medication, psychotherapy, changing your lifestyle and having all the support from family, friends and all loved ones can be of a great help in overcoming any types of depression you are suffering from.